Sunday, June 26, 2011

Light and Easy Ranch Dressing

I came up with this recipe while I was looking for a dressing for my Fiesta Black Bean Salad. I added chili powder and lime zest/juice as an afterthought to go with the flavors of the salad, but this one is a traditional ranch flavor great for dipping or dressing. I always have plain, unsweetened yogurt on hand, so I tried that instead of the more traditional buttermilk/sour cream/mayonnaise combinations, and I was very pleased with the results and will always make it this way in the future. I do also have Greek yogurt on hand, but the consistency is so mush thicker and the taste so much tangier, I opted for the regular stuff so as not to overpower the fresh herb flavors I really enjoy.

The salt and pepper are always "freebies", so the only thing I spent money on was organic yogurt--the other items were picked fresh from the backyard/garden.


Light and Easy Ranch Dressing

1/2 cup plain, unsweetened yogurt
1 Tbsp fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried)
1 tsp fresh dill (or 1/2 tsp dried)
1 tsp fresh chives (or 1/2 tsp dried)
1 clove garlic, finely minced
Kosher salt to taste (go very easy on this!)
Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
Optional: splash of lemon or lime juice

Directions: Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and refrigerate at least half an hour before using to let flavors meld.

Cost:
Yogurt (organic): $4.69/32 oz tub, used 1/8 = $.59

Total Cost: $.59

No comments:

Post a Comment