Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Little Nutty, A Little Fruity Chicken Salad



I don't eat a lot of meat and poultry, but this one chicken recipe I really enjoy. It's so flavorful but light and refreshing at the same time. I am all about texture and crunch in my food, and while my husband is at the opposite end of the spectrum, he loves this chicken salad with all of the crunchy veggies I load it with. I like to eat this as is or over organic baby spinach, and it is wonderful as a sandwich as well. It makes 4 adult-size servings, about 6 servings in our house with the kids.

I prefer the lightness of the plain yogurt, but you could certainly use mayonnaise or the whipped salad dressing stuff if you prefer. You could also substitute chopped pecans, pistachios or walnuts for the almonds. I buy organic grapes, which are very comparable in price to the non-organic at my favorite grocery store. I also use organic yogurt, and at only $.59 cents worth in this recipe, the higher initial cost over the non-organic doesn't phase me. I also used organic chicken, which ups my cost considerably over non-organic, but again, the cost is worth it for me, especially when spread out over more than one meal.



A Little Nutty, A Little Fruity Chicken Salad

2 cups cooked chicken, shredded/diced/cubed
1 cup red grapes, halved
1 stalk of celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup plain, unsweetened yogurt
1 Tbsp prepared mustard (brown, whole grain or Dijon impart the best flavor)
1/2 tsp dried tarragon
Kosher salt to taste
Fresh cracked black pepper to taste

Directions: Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir until just combined. Serve immediately or chill if desired.


Cost:
Chicken (organic): Used 1/3 of  Stretched Out Slow Cooker Whole Chicken = $3.94
Grapes (organic): $2.89/lb, used 4 oz = $.72
Carrots (organic): $1.98/2 lb bag, 2 carrots is 1/9 of bag =  $.22
Celery: $1.18 per head, 2 stalks is 1/12 = $.10
Red onion: $.75/lb, small onion was 6 ounces ($.28), used 1/2 = $.14
Yogurt (organic): $4.69/32 oz container, used 1/8 =$.59
Almonds: $1.49 per package, used 1/2 of pkg = $.75

Total Cost: $6.46
Four Servings: $1.62 per serving
Six Servings: $1.08 per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment