Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Cheesy Tomato Basil Burgers



While I noted in my post for the Cheesy Salsa Burgers that there were numerous ways to change to recipe up, this variation really needs its own post!

For the tomato part of the burger, I am choosing to use crushed tomatoes. Tomato sauce is well, too saucy, and diced tomatoes aren't saucy enough. I am using ground Smart Chicken, as I really love how ground chicken burgers turn out--nice and juicy, very flavorful and with a really nice texture. I think the tomato and basil compliment the chicken well, and the crushed tomatoes help to keep the burgers even juicier. I am using mozzarella cheese, but provolone would be a good match as well. The basil and garlic came from my garden, and I am very much looking forward to being able to go out and pick tomatoes too!


Cheesy Tomato Basil Burgers

1 1/2 lbs ground chicken/beef/turkey
1 cup crushed tomatoes
4 - 6 basil leaves, chopped/torn (or 1 tsp dried)
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 oz mozzarella cheese
Optional: salt and pepper to taste

Directions: Combine all ingredients except cheese in a large mixing bowl and mix with your hands, being careful not to overwork. Form six patties with half the meat mixture, place cheese in the middle of each patty, form six more patties, place each one on top of one with cheese on it, press seams together and cook as desired.



Cost:

Ground chicken: Smart Chicken $2.99/lb after sale and coupon, used 1 1/2 lbs =$4.49
Crushed tomatoes (organic): On sale $1.99/28 oz can, used approximately 1/3 = $.66
Mozzarella cheese (organic): On sale for $3.49/8 oz, used 1/2 = $1.75

Total Cost: $6.90
Six Servings: $1.15 per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment