Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pineapple Cole Slaw

I was bummed the only carrots I had on hand were yellow--I miss that pop of bright orange!


When I took my oldest son to the farmers market with me, he for some strange reason was really taken with the green cabbages. He asked me why I never buy cabbage and make it for supper, so we went home with a cabbage. I made a stir fry that evening with half of it, and the other half made its appearance in this recipe. Said son loves cole slaw, as do my husband and myself, and I wanted to see if I could not only make it a bit more healthful, but also more palatable for the two who don't care for it. Some cole slaw versions tend to be a bit too tangy for them I think, so this one is a bit smoother and milder, though still flavorful and not overly sweet. Ironically, it received rave reviews from the two non-cole-slaw-likers, I loved it, but my husband and oldest son were not as enthusiastic about it. Can't win 'em all I guess! ;)

I used an organic whole milk yogurt since it ends up being such a small amount per serving, though you could use reduced fat or even Greek yogurt. Nonfat Greek yogurt still has a lot of "oomph" and would probably work well, but I don't think the somewhat tinny and bland flavor of some of the nonfat regular yogurts I have tried would be my first choice. If I can ever find non-dairy coconut milk yogurt without driving for two hours, I plan to replace our regular dairy yogurt with that and imagine it would work just fine in my recipes calling for yogurt. If you really need the traditional mayo/reduced fat mayo, it would be an equal substitution for the yogurt. The honey came from the farmers market, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the 16 oz bottles of honey that were $5 last year are only $4 this year. Back when I had coupons for fresh pineapples and then stocked up when I found them on sale, I finely chopped and froze some, but canned would work as well.

I think this is a nice, fresh variation of a traditional side dish, not to mention super cheap!


Pineapple Cole Slaw

4 cups cabbage, shredded (1/2 a small/med head)
1 cup carrots, shredded
1/2 cup plain unsweetened yogurt
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp honey
1 small clove garlic, finely minced
1 Tbsp onion, finely minced
1/3 cup pineapple, finely chopped 
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: 1/2 tsp celery seed

Directions: Place all ingredients but cabbage and carrots in a small mixing bowl and whisk/stir to combine well. Pour over cabbage and carrots and let sit in fridge for at least an hour before serving.


Cost:

Cabbage (farmers market): $1.50/head, used 1/2 = $.75
Pineapple: $1.38 after sale and coupon, used about 1/6 = $.23
Carrots (organic): On sale for $.99/lb bag, used 1/6 = $.17
Yogurt (organic): $4.69/32 oz tub, used 1/8 = $.59
Honey (farmers market): $4/16 oz bottle, used 1/32 = $.13

Total Cost: $1.87
Six Servings: $.31 per serving

 

No comments:

Post a Comment