Thursday, August 11, 2011

Cucumber Salsa



I knew my cucumber plants would climb, but I had know idea the extent to which they would spread out. I wish I would have taken a picture--one of them tried to choke out both a tomato plant and a head of broccoli! It spread out and wrapped a creepy little tendril around each plant before I found it one morning and rerouted it to yet another trellis. So my cucumbers are thriving, and I am left trying to figure out what to do with them after tiring of refrigerator pickles and throwing them on salads. Tiring of refrigerator pickles and homemade ranch dressing, I also needed a new use for my dill. I am also grilling salmon for supper and was thinking about what I would top it with to make it more interesting. So, cucumber salsa it is! I imagine this would be a great topping for almost any fish, maybe even chicken, and I can vouch for the fact that it is equally delicious when scooped up with organic corn tortilla chips.

You can use any blend of fresh herbs, I used the parsley, dill and chives because that's what I have in my backyard. I originally wrote the recipe with just dill and parsley, but I just noticed my chives are dangerously close to out of control, so they got added as well. I wrote the tomato as "1 cup diced" since there are so many varieties and sizes of tomato--I used a couple small roma tomatoes and some little yellow tear-drop shaped grape tomatoes. The only item I purchased for this recipe was a lime, everything else came from my garden. Even if you have to hit up your farmers market or grocery store, it's an economical recipe.


Cucumber Salsa

2 cups cucumber, diced
1 cup tomato, diced
1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh dill, chopped
1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp fresh chives, chopped
Juice of half a lemon or lime (about 1 Tbsp, or to taste)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and gently stir. Let sit in fridge for at least half an hour before serving.

Very excited to finally have tomatoes ripe for the picking!


Cost:

Lime: On sale for $.69, used 1/2  =$.35
Everything else: Garden Freebies

Total Cost: $.35

No comments:

Post a Comment