Saturday, August 6, 2011

Honey Mustard Chicken Pasta Salad

Forgot the cucumbers before I took the picture!


In trying to come up with more recipes that use the delicious local honey I get from my farmers market, the honey mustard flavor combination, one of my favorites, immediately popped into my head. I don't buy the commercial honey mustard sauces/dressings because of all the additives in it. For the dressing in this recipe, I used only organic mustard, local honey and my homemade vegetable stock (instead of oil). I used a coarse grain mustard, but a whole grain, brown or Dijon would work well too. I am not sure I would try it with a yellow mustard, but if you do, let me know how it turns out!

I have a few freebies in this recipe, but even if you purchase a couple tomatoes, a cucumber and some stock, your cost will not be a lot more than mine. I could have gotten whole wheat pasta instead of the organic gluten free pasta for $1.25 less per package, so it could save you that much over my calculations if organic and/or gluten free pasta is not a concern for you. You don't have to stick to the vegetables I used either. I used what I had in the garden and found at the farmers market (I do have my first bell pepper almost ready in the garden!)--you could substitute/add carrots, broccoli, snap peas, radishes, black olives, banana peppers, etc.

Served with raw organic baby carrots and raw organic broccoli (I used my $2 off 2 Earth Bound Farm products coupon from Recyclebank for them), we had ourselves a fresh, healthful $6 dinner with enough leftover for me for lunch tomorrow!


Honey Mustard Chicken Pasta Salad

6 oz dry pasta, cooked according to package directions
1/2 lb cooked chicken, shredded or chopped (about 2 cups)
1/2 cup homemade vegetable stock (or any vegetable or chicken stock)
1/4 cup whole grain/coarse grain/brown mustard
2 Tbsp honey
2 roma tomatoes, chopped
1 small/med cucumber, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: cheddar cheese, diced into small cubes

Directions: Mix stock, mustard, salt, pepper and honey in a small bowl. Place chicken, vegetables, cheese if using and pasta in a large bowl and pour honey mustard mixture over top, tossing to evenly coat. Refrigerate at least half an hour before serving, stirring a couple times to redistribute dressing.


Cost:

Chicken breast (veg-fed/no antibiotics): On sale $2/8-10 oz breast, used 1 = $2.00
Mustard (organic): $3.00 /9 oz jar, used not quite 1/3 = $1.00
Honey (farmers market): $4/16 oz bottle, used 1/16 = $.25
Pasta (organic/gluten free): On clearance for $2.50/12 oz pkg, used 1/2 = $1.25
Onion (farmers market): $.50, used 1/3 = $.17
Bell pepper (farmers market): $.50, used 1/2 = $.25
Tomatoes: Garden Freebie
Cucumbers: Garden Freebie
Vegetable Stock: Homemade Freebie

Total Cost: $4.92
Six Servings: $.82 per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment