Friday, August 12, 2011

Quinoa and Portobello Pilaf



I usually make a quinoa pilaf as a side dish, but I felt like mixing things up a little and declared today Meatless Friday in our house, so it served as our main dish.  Taking into consideration that portobello mushrooms have an almost meaty flavor and that quinoa contains all of the essential amino acids that qualify it as a complete protein (not to mention its high amounts of dietary fiber, iron, folate and tons of other nutrients), it was a very satisfying main dish, all four kids cleaned their plates, and my husband said he would most definitely eat it again as a main dish.

My local large discount store that I normally try to avoid at all costs put a bunch of the Bob's Red Mill products they aren't going to carry anymore on clearance, plus I had a coupon for $1 off of two Bob's products, so I got a great deal on a couple bags of quinoa.  I usually order quinoa from Amazon.com since it's cheaper to buy a case of four large packages than it is to purchase individual bags or even from the bulk bins at my grocery store (and using my Amazon gift cards for Recyclebank and Swagbucks, I can sometimes get a case for free or very little $). Also check the bulk bins--that's a great way to get just what you need and usually at a lower price. I got my portobello cap from a bulk bin, and it was only one of two options, the other being white button mushrooms. I chose the nice deep flavor of the portobello over the mild and sometimes near-flavorless white buttons, but if you have a wide variety of mushrooms to choose from, you can get creative.

I am serving this alongside kale from the garden dressed with a little olive oil, red wine vinegar and salt and pepper, fresh strawberries that were on sale for $1.50/lb, which we'll probably eat all of, and raw kohlrabi, which was only $.75 for a good sized head at the farmers market, of which we will eat about a third. Another healthful, quick and easy $5 ($4.76) dinner!


Quinoa and Portobello Pilaf

2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup quinoa, uncooked
2 cups homemade vegetable stock (or any vegetable/chicken stock)
1 large portobello mushroom cap, chopped (apprx 1 1/2 cups)
1 small onion, chopped (apprx 1/2 cup)
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 Tbsp chopped fresh chives

Directions: Heat olive oil in a large skillet or sauce pan over medium high heat. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic and saute for 3 minutes. Add quinoa and saute for 3-5 minutes, stirring often, just until quinoa is lightly toasted. Add salt, pepper and stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 18-20 minutes, until stock is absorbed. Stir in chives and/or use them to garnish each serving.


Cost:

Quinoa (organic): On clearance for $7/ bag, coupon for $1 off 2 ($6.50/bag), used 1/4 bag = $1.63
Portobello mushroom: $1.38/cap = $1.38

Total Cost: $3.21
Four Servings: $.80 per serving
Six Servings: $.54 per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment