Saturday, August 13, 2011

Greek-Style Roasted Eggplant and Tomatoes

I thought this one was too pretty not to crop it into a close-up!


Thanks to a beautifully shaped eggplant I couldn't resist at the farmers market (it was really shiny and purple too!), it's another meatless dinner here today. I had a difficult time trying to think of something to do with the eggplant that didn't include extra oil, bread crumbs and/or flour--I wanted something healthful and simple. Looking at the photo, I wonder if I had pizza on the brain?! I used a baking sheet instead of a baking dish so that the eggplant roasted/caramelized versus getting steamed, making for a much more interesting flavor in my opinion. I left the peel on simply because I forgot about it. I didn't eat it since it didn't get tender enough, so I think next time I might peel it, even though I really like the way it looks with the peel on. This would make a great side dish as well and can easily be adjusted depending on how many you are feeding.

The tomatoes and onion were garden freebies, so there was very little investment in this dish. I served it with half of a huge bag of broccoli I got at the farmers market for only $2.00 and an entire pineapple that was on sale for $2.00, so tonight's dinner was a whopping $4.50!


Greek-Style Roasted Eggplant and Tomatoes

1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2 " rounds or length-wise slices
2 cups tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp dried oregano
1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
Salt and pepper to taste

Step 1: (Optional) Place eggplant slices in a colander over a bowl or sink or on a rack over a baking sheet and sprinkle liberally with kosher salt. Let sit for at least 30 minutes to an hour. This will draw out a brownish, bitter liquid. Rinse thoroughly and pat dry. Some people are sensitive to the bitterness, others don't notice it, some say it depends on the size/age/freshness of the eggplant. I do it because I like that it draws out excess liquid so the eggplant can caramelize better.  

Step 2: Place tomatoes, garlic and onion in a small bowl and add oregano, salt, pepper, oil and vinegar. Gently toss to evenly coat.

Step 3: Lay eggplant slices in a single layer on an oiled baking sheet. Top each slice with tomato mixture and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Top each slice with crumbled Feta and return to oven for 5 minutes (Feta will not melt).


Cost:

Eggplant (farmers market): $.75
Feta cheese: On sale 2/$5, used $1 off coupon ($1.50/each), used 1/2 pkg = $.75

Total Cost: $1.50
Four Servings: $.38 per serving
Six Servings: $.25 per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment